Join us on Saturday, May 28th for the 9th Annual Okanagan Arts Awards
1. NEW LOGO
thanks to Victor Poirier of the Centre for Art for Technology and local graphic designer Jonathan Matlock for coming up with our new stylin’ Okanagan Art Awards logo. And thanks to Kylene Hebert for our stylin’ Save the Date posters, flyers and much, much MORE!
2. FIVE NEW AWARD CATEGORIES
These 5 new award categories reflect some of the new trends and changes taking place in the arts.
- Emerging Artist – for those who show excellent potential in the early part of their career
- Innovation award – we want to acknowledge the artist who are leading the way in new, leading edge practices.
- Art & Business – artists engaging in the market is trend that continues to grow and we want to acknowledge those who are doing it with artistic integrity.
- Business Supporter – we want to acknowledge businesses that are actively making a difference in the arts.
- Community Impact Award – we want to acknowledge organizations / groups / collectives, who have been creating transformative artistic experiences for community.
PLUS — We are still have the ARTISTIC EXCELLENCE Award Categories, awards in 7 disciplines: Visual Arts, Dance, Theatre, Music, Literature, Applied Arts and Time Based Media
3. NEW AWARD SCULPTURES
This year we’re collaborating with Cool Arts and community members to create the Okanagan Award Sculptures. If you’d like a hand in creating these sculptures, please email me, Katie, to sign up for the next making session on March 12th from 1 – 3pm. This event is free. Pre-registration is necessary.
4. NEW VENUE
This year the Award Gala evening will be held at the Habitat in downtown Kelowna on May 28th. Save the Date!
5. NEW AWARD SHOW FORMAT
We’re going for more of a cabaret show vibe this year – more mixing and mingling. We’ve also got a new host for the show: Mr. Peter Breeze.
Peter Breeze spent the better part of a decade as Canada’s most notorious club kid. His notoriety and obsession with fame and pop culture drove him into an underground pop career as well as roles in a slew of feature films. Throughout the night Peter will be meeting the best the arts community of the Central Okanagan has to offer!